From Abortion Risks
Links to Major Media Stories on Abortion and Mental Heatlh
- Abortion can put women at increased risk of mental health problems, says study Daily Telegraph UK, 02 Nov 2009
- Women who have an abortion can be at increased risk of anxiety and depression, according to the results of a new study.
- According to the authors of the study:
- “Collectively, this evidence raises important questions about the practice of justifying termination of pregnancy on the grounds that this procedure will reduce risks of mental health problems in women having unwanted pregnancy.
- “Currently there is no evidence to support the assumptions underlying this practice, and the findings of the present study suggest that abortion may, in fact, increase mental health risks among those women who find seeking and obtaining an abortion a distressing experience.”
Citing: Reactions to abortion and subsequent mental health. Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ, Boden JM. Br J Psychiatry. 2009 Nov;195(5):420-6.